Friday, May 13, 2011

Little adjustments, big changes.

I recently decided that I needed to readjust a couple of areas in my life.  Heavy for an opening statement, right?  In short, I decided that I needed to eat healthier, exercise more, and be more conscientious of how I'm raising my kids.  Probably exactly what everyone else wants to change, lol.  Let me break it down...

Eating, yeah, I've been terrible.  I'm very lax, to say the least.  So Im starting small to be successful.  First off, this is a family affair.  Yep...no more chicken nuggets and french fries from good 'ole Mickey Dee's (ok, lets be honest, Im gonna cut down, not out).  Which means, no more Quarter Pounders for momma.  Also, no more meals/snacks in front of the t.v.  This is a challenge for me.  I was getting pretty bad about letting Audra have her snacks in the living room.  I was also in the habit of putting a movie on my laptop for her during meal times.  Bad mommy.  But lets face it, Nick and I arent in the habit of eating dinner at normal people times and I usually dont eat lunch until after the kids go down for a nap, and breakfast...well who needs breakfast when you have coffee??  So poor little Audra was eating her meals at the table with Nemo (or Elmo, Blues Clues, Buzz Lightyear).  No more.  For the past two days I have been sitting with her at the table (even if Im not eating) for her meals.  Im pretty proud of this adjustment.  Its long been our routine to make her food, sit her at the table, and turn on the movie of the week.  It really kinda makes me sad to think about it.  What kind of an example have I been setting for her?  *sigh*  At least Im making changes now, right?
So this leads me to cooking healthier.  Making sure I start presenting foods in a variety of ways and also making sure to introduce new (healthy) foods.   To my surprise, Audra is really showing some interest in things that she hasn't before.  She isn't crazy about not watching her movies anymore and asks for them every.single.time.  Ah well, she'll get used to it.
The excercise part in all of this?  Well, thank goodness its only my problem.  I would like to dedicate one night a week to yoga (slow changes, remember?).  The slow kind.  The relaxing kind.  I went to the Athletic yoga a couple of weeks ago and realized I had made a horrible mistake.  These people were pros...stand-on-your-head pros.  Im not even kidding.  While it was impressive to watch, it was humiliating to be there.  The worst part?  The class was an hour and a half long!  I stuck it out and did what I could, but wow...thats not the yoga I love.  I also want to vow to take a walk with the kids on nice days (hopefully at least 2 days per week).
Its time to make some changes.  Not only for myself, but for the benefit of my whole family.  Im hoping that doing this slowly will help me to make lasting changes.  Wish me luck!

This post was written a few days ago, but finished now...so I've actually been doing well for the past 4 days...awesome

No comments:

Post a Comment