Saturday, April 30, 2011

Brown cookie

I like the idea of not writing a novel when I post, but sometimes I can't help it.  Especially when I have a lot to say.  And I do have a lot to say about my day today.
Audra was scheduled for an endoscopy this morning.  Suppose to be at the hospital at 8:30 for a 9:30 procedure.  To make sure we didnt hit too much traffic, that meant leaving the house at 6:30.  Which meant getting up at five to get both kids up and ready, Elijah fed, Nick and I showered...etc.  The beginning part of the morning went well.  Really well.  Too well.  I should have known...

We get to the hospital.  Audra had only mentioned wanting to eat maybe twice.  This is good because poor little thing hadnt eaten since 7:00 the night before and was not allowed to eat until after the procedure.  We are sitting in the waiting room and we are a little early...its like 8:15.  Audi was being pretty good.  Elijah starts getting restless, I feed him...he settles.  8:45 rolls around..no big deal...I didnt really expect to get taken care of right at 8:30.  9:00...Audra is beginning to show signs of crankiness and restlessness.  9:10...Audra goes from kind of okay to NOT OKAY.  Crying a little and loudly proclaiming "Brown Cookie!!".  Brown Cookie= Earths Best cereal bar=Audra's favorite thing to eat.   A patient care advocate comes over to kindly let us know that they are running behind, and that they will not be taking us into a room until 10:00.  Who knows how long after that it will take them to get us in to the actual procedure.  *sigh*

So, by the time they take Audra back into the room, the WHOLE waiting room knows that she wants a BROWN COOKIE!!!  I could have cried.  I felt so sorry for her.  Anyway...

The nurse comes in to ask some pre-op questions.  Then the anesthesiologist comes in to ask questions and listen to her heart and lungs.  Questions asked, hes listening to her heart...and listening...and listening.  Turns to me and says "thats quite a murmur she has there".  Now, I have known for awhile that she had an "innocent murmur" that her pedi said she would probably grow out of and that we would "keep an eye on".  That was when she was in the months-old stage.  As she has grown bigger, anytime anyone gets near her with a stethoscope, she freaks.  So, I can see why her pedi wouldnt have really been able to hear it anymore.

The anesthesiologist decided to cancel the procedure.  He said that the last time they discovered that a child had an undiagnosed murmur and went on ahead with the procedure, the child went into cardiac arrest.  Um, no thanks.  So after a morning of anxiety, crying, prepping, planning, driving, starving...we went home with a diagnosis of a heart murmur, and no information on the extent of Audra's acid reflux.  I try hard not to worry about these things, but I really cant help it.  I mean, whats the sense in worrying?  I guess its off to see a cardiologist!

So, moral of the story...while it was a complete waste of a gorgeous morning-tortured our little girl by getting her up early and starving her- we got to bring home our little girl, alive and well...and stuffed full of 3 'Brown Cookies', graham crackers, nuggets and french fries, milk and apple juice.  So I guess it was an awesome morning after all =) .

No comments:

Post a Comment